|Welcome to Montessori Album! We've been online for over ten years (yay!), but unfortunately we've had a lot of spam accounts over time. We didn't have a good way of sorting them out...so took the extreme measure of wiping everything before November 2019.|
We're so sorry! We've setup measures to prevent such drastic action again. Please recreate your account if it doesn't work.
|Math - Numbers 0-10|
|Age||3 - 4|
|Prerequisites||Rough and Smooth Boards |
|Materials||set of sandpaper numerals|
This activity teaches the child the symbols for and names of the numbers 0-9. It also indirectly prepares the child to write the numerals.
- Take the box of sandpaper numerals to a mat or table. Place it in the upper right corner.
- Remove the first three sandpaper numerals and place them face-down in the upper right corner.
- Take the first and trace it. "One." Give the child a turn.
- Move the 1 out of the way. Then trace the 2.
- Move the 2 out of the way and trace the 3.
- Allow the child to trace the numerals.
- Lay out out all three numerals (mix up the order occasionally) and do a three period lesson.
- When the child knows the first three numerals well, teach the others in the same way.
Points of Interest
- To give the child a sensorial impression of the form of the symbol that corresponds to the quality.
- To show the succession of numbers
- To show base 10
- Recognition of numerals 0-9
- Preparation for writing numbers
Control of Error
Tactile and visual
A box containing sandpaper numerals from 0 to 9. They are arranged in sequence with the zero at the end.
Where to Buy
- Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-fives by David Gettman, pages 163-164
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock, pages 82-83, 97-98